Tuesday, August 18, 2009

And If You Got 10 Sticky Fingers...

Like most 4 month olds, Bo has discovered hands. He loves to watch my hands do things and he puts his hands on mine when I'm buckling him into his car seat or stroller, like he's helping. He doesn't really stare at his own hands so much as suck on them all day long. He tries to get both fists into his mouth at once sometimes. He'll also sit playing with his tongue and chewing on his fingers at the back of his mouth, where his molars will eventually be.

Anything else in the general vicinity of is face will end up in his mouth too. He's starting to figure out how to grab things and anything he manages to get into his hands goes straight to his mouth. He chews on my shoulder when we're walking around and he even got a handful of my hair in there today (because the hair is excellent for grabbing and holding onto, apparently. I really need a hair cut btw.). Bo will grab Frank's thumb and put it in his mouth and go to town. He'll even take a break, pulling Frank's thumb out and then putting it back in. He does it with the pacifier too.

Even though this is all normal developmental stuff, my baby is a genius. No baby has ever figured out how to put things in his mouth as efficiently and smartly as my boy. And the drool is just proof of his incredibly giant and brilliant brain. SHUT UP, he's a genius.

I'm a little concerned though, because he's sucking his thumb a lot. He's pretty much given up the pacifier in favor of the thumb. He'll actually spit the pacifier out so he can suck his thumb. Mostly I'm unconcerned. Except for a little bit. Because I don't want Bo to be a thumb sucker and he's already displaying some of the behaviors of one. He sucks for comfort when he's feeling upset or stressed, he sucks to get himself to sleep and to get back to sleep if he startles himself awake. I have visions of him being one of those 6 year olds you see at the mall, still in the stroller, sucking away. And well, ew.

I'm unconcerned because he's only 4 months old. This isn't a hard and fast habit he's developing here. Right? RIGHT? The other thing is, it's so damned cute. He gets that fat little thumb into his mouth and sucks like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes his enormous head falls forward into his lap because he's so intent on getting as much of the thumb into his mouth as possible, he can't expend the effort pick that melon up.

I'm trying to get some sort of schedule going with this boy (and oy, talk about sucking), part of which is getting him to sleep before 11pm, on his own, without nursing himself into unconsciousness. The trade off is the thumb. Am I setting myself up for a fight down the road? Is there going to be a pepper on the thumb showdown in our future? If I discourage the thumb in favor of the pacifier, isn't it really just the same thing?

No really, I'm asking you.




Because I'm a marshmallow when it comes to this boy.


Do you see those legs? Those legs are so FAT that they get stuck in the Bumbo. I pick the boy up and the seat comes with him.

17lbs.

SEVENTEEN POUNDS!


----------------------------------------------

two posts in two days. you have to be impressed. I'm just saying.

3 comments:

Rinny said...

I think it is all relative. Thumbs are thumbs. Bo won't be the first, nor the last child to suck his thumb. If it gives him comfort so be it. Our pediatrician told us from the beginning to be thankful that Harper could self soothe with her fingers instead of having to constantly search for a pacifier or whatever else might work. She sucks on her fists, fingers, our fingers, etc.....too many other things to worry about I think. As for 17 pounds.....egads! Harper is almost that, but not quite, and she is nearly a full month older than Bo. That is one cute chunky monkey there.

Lora said...

Jake sucked his thumb while teething, but gave it up around 7 months or so. He did it all on his own.

Then again that boy has never liked much of anything in his mouth. Maybe that's why he was only 19 pounds when he was 9 months old. Bo will eat Jake by the time they are old enough to play together!

Andrea said...

I totally know about having a chubby legged baby! My daughter used to stick in that d@ng chair, too! He'll grow and before you know it you'll be searching for the baby fat!

I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I appreciate the support and thank you again for your kind words.